Thursday, January 14, 2010

And so it begins again...


Classes started today, or they would have but my class was canceled or we are actually to go and read the first 3 acts of Ben Jonson's play Bartholomew Fair. I have honestly been in the business of English, for about 27 years, if you count grade school and that I started reading when I was four. I have been in higher education for about ten years, that does not include the 2 years I took off between undergrad and graduate school, "for good behavior," and I can honestly say I have never heard of this play. I, of course have heard of Ben Jonson, one of the more famous contemporaries of Shakespeare but not this title. Needless to say, I am intrigued. I have always thought, that if I could live in any century other than my own, if would be in the 19th century, however, I have to say that after last semester's Shakespeare class with an excellent professor, I have to say that the 17th century is gaining rapidly. In my class this semester with same excellent professor we will read eclectic pieces such as Pilgrim's Progress, which I havent read since my homeschool days, but I think I still have a copy, Something called The Man in the Moon, and some Francis Bacon. I think this should be cool. I will keep you posted. I will also let you know of my other class, which is creative nonfiction workshop, once it starts. Now tomorrow to go look for a copy of Bartholomew Fair online, once I get monies. Ah well, have a pleasant evening. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment